Navy Beans and Roast Tomato Soup
As the weather cools and approaches Fall, I like to prep some soup for the family. The ingredients are basic pantry staples and is easy to prepare and makes for a hearty, healthy soup! Yum!
Pairing it with some garlic bread is also good! I've included both recipes below.
Easy Navy Beans and Roast Tomato Soup
-3 tbsp vegetable oil for sauteing
-1 whole yellow onion
-2 tbsp minced garlic
-1 whole head celery, chopped
-3 cups navy beans (soaked overnight)
-1 can tomato sauce
-1 can diced roast tomatoes (I used Trader Joe's)
-4 to 5 cups water or vegetable broth
-half tsp ground coriander
-half tsp ground thyme
-half tsp chili flakes
-half tsp ground cloves
-2 bay leaves
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp ground paprika
-2 tsp McCormick Italian seasoning
-2 tsp McCormick Garlic Pepper seasoning
- salt to taste
1. In a pot, saute yellow onion and minced garlic until golden.
2. Put in the celery, navy beans, tomato sauce and diced roast tomatoes, turn to medium high heat. Stir for 2 minutes. Add water or vegetable broth. Turn to high heat.
3. Stir in all seasonings: ground coriander, ground thyme, chili flakes, ground cloves, bay leaves, ground cumin, ground paprika, Italian seasoning and garlic pepper seasoning.
4. Bring to boil and lower heat to a slow simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
5. After 30 minutes, check if water level is enough and add if it is necessary to add more water or vegetable broth. Add salt to taste.
-French baguette, sliced in the middle and cut to about 2 inch long
-butter, depending how much slices of bread to be prepared, about 1/4 inch thick square per slice of bread, room temperature
-fresh parsely, minced (optional)
-McCormick Chimichurri seasoning (optional)
1. Combine minced garlic and olive oil and mix together, set aside.
2. Spread butter on slices of bread.
3. Spoon minced garlic and olive oil mixture on top of each bread slice and spread.
4. Optional: sprinkle chimichurri seasoning or fresh parsley on top of each bread slice.
5. Place bread slices on baking sheet and bake at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes. Watching closely for browning. You may extend baking time to 1 to 2 more minutes depending on level of golden color you want to achieve. You can also use an oven toaster which I use.